Here are some facts about how Lorraine’s meets the needs of the community…
- Almost 23% of Chicopee residents live under the poverty line.
- In 2014, approximately 480,000 pounds of food was distributed through our pantry program to almost 6,500 qualified Chicopee families. This equates to almost 12% of Chicopee’s population walking through the doors at Lorraine’s.
- Chicopee families are eligible for pantry assistance every eight weeks totaling about 40,000 visits a year.
- Almost 60% of Lorraine’s pantry clients hold part time or full time employment.
- Over 125 tons of food was procured through the Food Bank of Western Massachusetts. The balance was received from local vendors and food collected at food drives.
- Approximately 25,000 nutritional meals are served Monday through Friday over the course of a year with an operational cost of approximately $2.00 per meal.
- With the average family size about three people, a donation of $40 will feed a family of four for a week with groceries from our pantry.
- A number of important grant funds have been cut throughout the years. One significant loss was the Community Development Block Grant which decreased from $20,000 in 2011 to $7,000 in 2014.
- The program anticipates a 10% increase in pantry visits in 2015 because of increasing food insecurity in our Chicopee community.